Wednesday, December 18, 2013

I LOVE CAMEL!!

I LOVE CAMEL!!

First thing in the morning we got to play with camels and take a little camel ride after taking a bus tour of Tangiers. The man who owned the camels and was leading the camel rides kept yelling I LOVE CAMEL!! I don't know if he thought that was a joke, his english wasn't that great, or if he legitimately just loved camels. But actually I really did love riding the camels. They were kinda scary to be on while they sat down or stood up, but during the ride it was quite pleasant. Even better than a horse actually. More padding.



I guess I was into the camel ride more than the rest 









Caves of Hercules was our next stop. It is a lovely cave that is said to be the place that Hercules hid out in before doing his 11th labor. As you can see this cave is gorgeous and is also said to be in the shape of the continent of Africa. I can see it, but other people say that is just because I wanted to see it.



Next we had a nice little tea break before making our way to our next adventure. I am not going to lie it was the best tea I have ever had. It was a mint tea and it is Morocco's national drink. In Morocco they just call it Moroccan Whiskey. It is delicious. Also, we had a nice little view while we sipped our tea. 



This lighthouse is exactly where the Atlantic Ocean meets the Mediterranean Ocean


Then it was on the the town of Chefchaouen. This small town is known for the blue painted houses. The people do this so they can keep the houses and streets cool in the summer time. It was in the 70's while I went, but in the summer the temperatures can climb well into the triple digits. The blue  paint reflects the sun and in the peak heat of the summer the houses and the streets will be in the low 50's. While walking through the streets you could feel the drastic change in temperature; it was almost cold. Another thing this town is known for is the street markets. Everyone is a salesman and a good one at that. It is a completely different culture there. I really did have fun with it. I don't think I could live in a culture like that for more than a weekend. Especially since out in the streets people come up to pushing drugs your way and also men leer at the woman and make you feel exposed even when you have covered yourself up. I worked very hard to keep to the customs of Morocco so that I would not feel uncomfortable or make anyone else feel uncomfortable, but that did not happen. Men still stared at my uncovered hair or feet if they peeked our from underneath my long skirt. The men also said inappropriate things and the women stared and gave disapproving looks. I guess you can only do so much.




 The houses were beautiful and wonderfully taken care of. They repaint the houses as a community every 3 years. 




Every doorway looked like this. Good hung from every nook and cranny 



Lovely smelling spices in the markets

No comments:

Post a Comment