Monday, November 4, 2013

Wine Tasting

Wine Tasting

My program took us to Ribera de Duero for a wine tasting and winery tour. The winery/vineyard was very pretty. And it was interesting to see that it is not super different that the wineries back in the US. But unfortunately, I have yet to find a wine from Spain that I really love. I am not a big Tempranillo fan and that's basically all they make here. Also, I don't really like that they make blends for all their wines. I feel like blends are a good way to take different types of mediocre wine and mix them together to pass them off as a pretty decent wine. So far I am not a fan of Spanish wine and the more I try the more it makes me miss the wine countries I am surrounded by in the US.



The Winery was beautiful. It definitely made me think it could be a winery in California.


These men were throwing grapes into the destemer. It made a pretty nice show for all us.


These are where the wine ferments for a while.


 This is the owner of the winery holding the skins of the wine. The wine they were making obviously didn't need the skins soaked, so they had them in a pile outside. 


They did have a fantastic barrel/aging room. This was the biggest winery/vineyard in the area. They had the barrels staked from youngest to oldest. Very pretty.


We watched their bottling line as well. 



And of course we drank the wine. Naturally, it was a Tempranillo. And I thought it was a pretty good one, but I was still not a big fan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment