Sunday, March 16, 2014

Buda and Pest

Buda and Pest



Budapest was probably one of the best cities I have ever gone to in my entire life. When I stepped off the plane I could definitely feel that I had stepped off into Eastern Europe. The airport was an old airplane hangar from WWII. Looking around at that moment and then seeing all the police in what looked like swat gear outside the airport really made Eric and I ask what we had gotten ourselves into. It turns out we got ourselves into one of the most amazing cities in the world.


Budapest actually use to be two separate cities Buda and Pest. When they were united to be the single capital of the territory it was called Budapest. However on business cards and advertisements they say that they are located on the Buda side or the Pest side. I really liked this.



St. Stephen’s Basilica (Szent Istvánbazilika)
 A Roman Catholic Basilica. It is named in honor of Stephen, the first king of Hungary whose right hand is housed in the reliquary. It was the 6th largest church building in Hungary before 1920. Today, it is the 3rd largest church building in present day Hungary.



I loved the way that St. Stephen's looked. I also, loved that the back of the church was round. I guess I was just craving some religious sites that didn't look like Spanish Cathedrals.






Parliament (Orszaghaz) 
the domed neo-Gothic structure was inspired by the British House of Parliament and serves as both a vibrant government center and a proud city landmark on the Pest side of the banks of the Danube River.


We walked out of a metro station and the first thing we saw was the Parliament building across the river. We couldn't believe how awe-striking it was. I find it to be one of the most impressive buildings that I have ever seen.




Buda Castle Hill



Buda Castle
This palace has had five lives. Originally built in the 13th century, it was reconstructed two hundred years later by King Matthias and then destroyed by the Turks in 1686. Between 1714 and 1723 Hapsburg empress, Maria Theresa, rebuilt it. Alas, it was damaged again during an unsuccessful 1849 attack by revolutionaries. It rose again in 1905, but not for long. The communists turned it into rubble in 1945 during a seven-week siege. Finally restored during the 1950’s, it is now a museum complex housing the Hungarian National Gallery, the Széchenyi National Library and the Budapest History Museum. 




All of Europe has lots of statues, but I really loved Budapest's statues more than any other place I have ever gone. This is because I love how much action is in them. It makes them more real and it actually makes me what to stop and look at them. 



Buda Castle and all the other sights in Budapest are free of charge. Hungarians just want you to enjoy their culture and love it as much as they do. I think this is the way it should be. Everyone should be able to learn about other cultures and histories. 




A Christmas Market in one of the Buda Neighborhoods 
We enjoyed some nice Glühwein and watched the locals.




This is just a random church right by our hostel that I thought was so adorable. I loved that it was yellow and it felt just so small and spiritual. 


Matthias Church (Mátyás-templom)
 Perched on the highest point of Castle Hill, the Mathias Church (Buda Church of our Lady) was originally a 13th century Gothic chapel. The steeple was added in the 15th century. During Turkish occupation from 1541 until 1686, the church became the city’s main mosque. Legend has it that during the siege of Buda in 1686, a wall in the mosque collapsed revealing a Gothic sculpture of the Virgin Mary. It frightened the Turks so much that morale collapsed and the city reverted back to the Hungarians. The stature still stands at the door of the church that faces the river. A reddish-brown mosaic roof crowns the dusty-white and intricate stonework of the house of worship. Its massive Szentáromság Kápolna (trinity Chapel) is the site of royal ceremonies and contains the burial crowns, rings, cross and scepters from former royalty. According to church tradition it was originally built in Romanesque style in 1015. The current building was constructed in the late Gothic style in the second half of the 14th century and was extensively restored in the late 19th century. It was the 2nd largest church of medieval Buda and the 7th largest church of medieval Hungarian Kingdom.


This was not really like any other church I had ever seen. I loved the colors of the roof. 














Statue of St. Stephen (Szent István király szobra)
 Sitting on a high pedestal, the huge, bronze statue of a man sitting on horseback, carrying a cross and wearing a halo is St. Stephen. St. Stephen is credited with bringing Christianity to Hungary, increasing Hungary’s territory and establishing the first kingdom of Hungary reigning form 1001-1038. The sculpture was created by Alajos Stróbl and unveiled in 1906. 

                          

Fisherman’s Bastion (Halázbástya)
 Once part of the castle walls, this Neo-Romanewque terrace once served as a fish market during Medieval times, but the structure itself was built between 1895 and 1902 by tradesman. The bastion was manned by Buda fishermen to protect the complex. It was designed and built between 1895 and 1902 on the plans of Frigyes Schulek. Between 1947-48, the son of Schulek, János Schulek, conducted the other restoration project after its near destruction during WWII.




The structure was beautiful and the views were lovely. It just blew my mind that all of these amazing parts of history were free.

A nice view of the Pest side of the River and the Parliament building.



I don't actually know what this statue is, but I really liked it. I know I shouldn't have been surprised, but I was very surprised at how religious Budapest was. I didn't really think of it as being so religious before I got there, but then again I didn't really know anything about Budapest let alone Hungry before I got there. 


A shot of Fisherman's Bastion and Matthias Church from the Pest side of the River. 



They got all decked out for Christmas. Even their cable cars had lights on them. 



The Széchenyi Chain Bridge (Lánchid)
  A suspension bridge that spans the River Danube between Buda and Pest, the western and eastern sides of Budapest. It was the first permanent bridge across the Danube in Budapest, and was opened in 1849. The bridge has the name of István Szécheni, a major supporter of its construction, but it is most commonly known as the Chain Bridge. At the time of its construction, it was regarded as one of the modern world’s engineering wonders. It has asserted an enormous significance in the country’s economic, social and cultural life, much as the Brooklyn Bridge has in NY. It’s decorations made of cast iron, and its construction, radiating calm dignity and balance have elevated the Chain Bridge to a high stature in Europe. It became a symbol of advancement, national awakening, and the linkage between East and West. 

Picture from the Buda Side



Pictures from the Pest Side


Buda Castle behind the Chain Bridge



I am so extremely glad that I went to Budapest. It was one of the most rewarding experiences I think I have ever had by visiting a city. The people were so fantastic and the culture is just so rich. The city is one of the most beautiful cities I have ever had the privilege and I really believe one day Budapest will be a leading city. This is, I feel, the most underrated places in the world. And I would love to go back some day.

No comments:

Post a Comment